Monday, April 26, 2010

How the NBA Playoffs Have Made Me a Better Father

All parents live for the moment when they realize they are accomplishing great things.

During the 2009 NBA playoffs, I was watching game 2 of the Denver Nuggets-L.A. Lakers series. My inquiring children asked me for whom I was cheering. I said the blue team (Denver).

"Do you like the blue team, Dad?"

"Not really. I'm cheering against the yellow team more than I'm cheering for the blue team."

"Why don't you like the yellow team."

"The yellow team is a bunch of cheating, cry-babies!"

Kobe cheats on and off the court
Ten seconds later, Kobe Bryant (now known simply as the cry-baby to my two older children) slammed the ball on the floor and was called for a technical foul. A dream come true.

"See what I mean, guys," I pronounced. "They're nothing but a bunch of poor-sport cry-babies." A few minutes later I had to check on my youngest daughter who was crying in the other room. I heard a ruckus in the TV room.

"What happened?" I asked.

They both yelled with enthusiasm, "Cry baby fell on his butt!" as they pointed at Kobe Bryant, who had just fallen on his butt. That may have been the proudest parenting moment of my life.

My children know four players in the NBA: Cry Baby (Kobe Bryant), Mr. Ugly (Joakim Noah), Funny Guy (Shaq), and Lebron James.

On Saturday Night, I called my oldest daughter (Savannah, 7) into my room and told her the cry babies were losing by twenty-four. Her response: "The cry babies totally suck." Oh what a proud father I was.

2 comments:

  1. ok that's really funny but as the mother of these children I'm gonna ask that you set your sights a little higher =)

    ReplyDelete