Friday, April 23, 2010

Preparing for the Young Men's 5-k

Wednesday was the preparation for the teachers' quorum (the teachers quorum refers to a group of 14-15-year olds that I guide) 5-k. We did a two-mile run to prepare and I discovered a few things:

  1. Most young men have no idea how to exercise. They all sprinted the first 200 yards. Of those who sprinted 200 yards, only one was still ahead of me after 201 yards.
  2. Running with others makes you run faster. It didn't seem like I was running any faster than normal. I guess trailing the leader of the pack by a quarter-mile provided enough subconscious motivation to run faster. I ran about 30 seconds per mile faster than normal.
  3. Running for endurance (10-k and above) and running for speed (1-2 miles) are two entirely different mindsets and skills. I suppose doing one strengthens the other.
The young men must complete the 3-mile run in under 30 minutes in order to obtain my signature for the exercise portion of the Duty to God award. Since I'm 40 and no longer eligible for a young men's award, I just want to finish first. And I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment